- Oblong Leeds
- Volunteer With Us
- Volunteer Roles
- Volunteer Support and Handbook
- Volunteer Activities
- Mental Wellbeing
- Woodhouse Community Centre
- Contact Us
- Support Us
Other Useful Information
Key policies and guidance
We want to create a safe and welcoming space for everyone who uses Oblong. We will not tolerate:
- Intimidation and harassment.
- Racism, sexism, homophobia and other forms of discrimination and prejudice.
- The theft of other people’s belongings.
If you have a problem with someone else's behaviour, we suggest that this should first be addressed informally. Please read the Acceptable Behaviour and Problem Solving Policy for advice and guidance. If this does not solve the problem then you should speak to a volunteer coordinator personally or put it in writing. Download the full policy or ask any member of staff for a copy.
Other important Oblong policies include:
- Health & safety
- Equal opportunities
- Oblong volunteer agreement
Download the full policies or ask any member of staff for a copy.V10 July 2014
At Oblong we will not tolerate discrimination. Be aware that some comments or jokes may be offensive to other people, even if you don’t mean them seriously. Talk to people! Get to know them and understand where they’re coming from. Oblong is a place where everyone is valued and everyone is of equal worth.
Oblong will maintain confidentiality concerning the personal details of volunteers. Volunteers are expected to respect the confidential nature of general information which may become known to them. However, we have a moral and legal obligation to protect others from risk or harm. If we think someone is in danger we may be forced to share information appropriately.
Acceptable Behaviour and Problem Solving Policy
We want to create a safe space for everyone. In order to promote equality of opportunity Oblong expects all volunteers to adhere to the following:
- Respect for others and to treat others equally.
- Be sensitive to the needs of others.
- Be friendly and helpful.
- Not to engage in offensive behaviour within oblong or at oblong events, including racism, homophobia, sexism, and aggressive or unpleasant behaviour.
Safeguarding – your safety at the centre
As Oblong has a collective way of working, most of our work is done in small groups. If you need to have a conversation with just one person at any time there are plenty of communal spaces for you to do this. One-to-one private meetings are unusual and it is important that you let other people know where you will be and what your meeting is about. At Oblong we work in an open, transparent and accountable way. If you do not feel safe or happy with the people you are with feel free to let someone know and alert a member of staff. If anyone asks you to do anything you do not want to do just say no, and let someone know.
Although we welcome friendships forming and activities carrying on outside the centre, you do not have to meet up with anyone you do not want to, do not know, or do not feel safe and comfortable with.
All volunteers and staff work together to ensure everyone in the centre is able to enjoy the facilities on their own terms and free from harassment and hassle. If you see anything you are not comfortable with, please ask what is going on and alert staff to anything that does not feel safe.
The IT area is a public area and we ask that you take care of your belongings, and look out for each other while you are there.
- If you notice a fire sound the alarm.
- Leave by the nearest exit.
- Proceed to the assembly point – on Woodhouse Street.
- The first aid boxes are at reception, under the sink upstairs, and in the kitchen.
- There is another first aid box for the gardening group which will be on site.
Practicalities and expenses
- Sign in and out of the building.
- Tea, coffee, etc. is free of charge to volunteers - please clean your mugs!
- Lunch – we can reimburse up to £3 per day per volunteer.
- Travel expenses – we can pay your expenses to get to Oblong and get home. This is up to the price of a Yorkshire Rider. We will give you a bus token in advance or reimburse mileage expenses if you have a car.